Thursday, January 14, 2010


Here's a lengthy quote from Donald Miller's blog, that made me think:

"I’ve also found that the more I trust in Christ’s redemption to be sufficient, the less overtly religious I am. And, quite honestly, the more suspect overtly religious people become to me. When I’m with somebody who talks zealously about faith, about Jesus, about the Bible, after a while, I find myself wondering whether or not their faith is strong at all.

For instance, if I were with somebody who kept talking about how much they loved their wife, going on loudly and profusely, intuitively I would wonder whether or not they were struggling in their marriage. I would wonder whether they were trying to convince me they loved their wife, or if they were trying to convince themselves. (Now that I think of it, though, some of my favorite people talk about how much they love their wives, but these are less public proclamations and more sighs of appreciation.)

Faith in Christ, for me, is similar. It’s intimate. I’m more comfortable giving quiet prayers, intimate prayers. Often alone, in fact. I speak of faith the way I speak of personal matters. Of course there is a time for proclamations, but that’s the key, isn’t it? There’s a time."

(Donald Miller)

Part of me wanted to immediately jump to the defensive.
But, the other part of me decided to check my motives again,
and maybe you would like to as well:

1)Really, why do you proclaim your faith?
  • does it flow out of joy and thankfulness in your heart?
  • do you want people to admire you?
  • are you trying to convince yourself of what you are saying?
2) Should our relationship with God look like a marriage? (private, intimate, but with obvious allegiance and devotion?)

3) Why do you serve?
  • "Paying it forward" what Christ has done for you?
  • because you believe there is good in everyone?
  • you look to gain some happiness from giving (Oprah theology)?
  • so that others will praise you?
4) When you see believers zealous for Christ, do you judge their motives, or are you joyful to see that they are so full?

Here are some appropriate Sara Groves lyrics:

Why do I pray-do I pray to say I prayed an hour?
Why do I love-do I want you beholden to me?
Why do I help-do I want to hear my name called out? Why do I sing?

Search me and know my heart, oh God.
See if there is any wrong thing in me.
All I have ever really wanted are clean hands and a pure heart.


Why do I give-do I give so I can get a blessing?
Why do I praise-do I praise to do the right thing?

Why do I serve-do I serve so others will serve me? Why do I sing?


Search me and know my heart, oh God.
See if there is any wrong thing in me.

All I have ever really wanted are clean hands and a pure heart



What do YOU think?

No comments: