Monday, July 02, 2007

humility bulletin

Jesus was the perfect picture of humility.

He is the King of the Universe, as high and as powerful and One could be.
and yet He lowered Himself to be as low and broken as One could be.

i am just a girl, made of dust, and my life is going to be over in the blink of an eye.
and yet i find it hard to lower myself in the least.

He is so beautiful. and i want to look like Him so badly.
___________________________________________________________________

do you believe in soul mates? do you think that God has one person picked out for each of us, or does He give us options?
___________________________________________________________________

Numbers is a KICKIN book. oh man, i've been stunned by it.

Moses was the most humble man in all of the earth. wow.
and he spoke with the Lord face to face, unlike other prophets who saw in visions and dreams. i wonder if it's a coincidence that he was amazingly humble, and that he had real fellowship with God.

Numbers also includes many examples of intercession.

--in chapter 11 the Lord sends His fire and burns the Israelites on the outskirts of the camp, because they were complaining. the people cry out to Moses, and Moses cries out to the Lord, and He stopped.

--in chapter 12 Miriam gets leprosy because she and Aaron were talking against Moses. Aaron begs Moses to not hold their sins against them, Moses cries out to the Lord to heal her, and He did (though she was confined for 7 days)

--in chapter 14 the Lord is planning on wiping out all of the Israelites, besides Moses, but Moses prays and the Lord holds back His anger and instead punishes them by holding them in the desert for 40 years till that generation dies out.

--in chapter 16, Korah and his friends rebel, and are swallowed up by the earth! if Moses hadn't fallen face down and begged God to spare the community, it would have been the whole community, not just Korah's family.

--and, best of all-- the Lord sends a plague on all of the Israelites. He wipes out 14,700 of them, and only stops there because Aaron runs with a censor and stands between the living and the dead to make an atonement for the community.

WOW. their humble cries were HEARD by God, and affected so much.
___________________________________________________________________

i was shattered on Thursday.

i think it's because of all of my reflections on humility. i've been asking God to humble me, and He is. eek.

it was also a public humbling. great. He's stripping away my foundation and showing the world my blemishes. i am needy, i am absolutely broken.
i think brokenness is simply recognizing the fact that we ARE broken.

i want to be like Jesus, and i want to be like Moses-- humble.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Soul mates eh? Did you have someone specific in mind?

Unknown said...

I think soul mates is a silly notion made up by humanists. It goes along with the same philosophy as 'fate' and all that crap, worldliness. don't marry anybody, there's no time for that nonsense, everybody loves what Paul says, but when it comes around to marriage they can't stand it, they'd rip it out of the bible if their legalism didn't tell them not to.

i'm just ranting, i don't agree with everything that I'm saying.

Also, I'm sure Jesus was more humble than Moses. Any good that was in moses was because of God, there can be no good in fallen man unless God is gracious enough to put it there, you know?

and also, your dust, yes, but that not where you're headed, you have eternal life, those who are born of the flesh die the death of the flesh, but those born of the Spirit go to God forever. From God you came and to God you shall return, truly blessed beyond the curse.

love

jeff said...

I don't know about the notion of soul mates. But I do believe that if we knew how to wait on the Lord, And I mean wait, then we might just encounter God's perfect 'help mate'. (like your parents). Ultimately, Christ is all we need. And even if we don't wait, we are humans after all, we still might get perfect kids, like Jeremy. :-)

Joe West said...

I don't believe in soul mates. I'm an arminian ;)

james said...

I dont believe in soul mates. dont see any evidence of it. i do see evidence of God telling me and encouraging me to be with a certain someone though!

The asking God to humble me prayer is both the best and worst prayer to pray. Every time I pray it God answers and I get humbled. Its one of those prayers Im sometimes too scared to pray coz I know its gonna be answered!!!

I really love how you totally long after God! Its great! God Bless ya!

jsi said...

Numbers is not the difficult book everyone considers it to be, and it does emphasize the importance of relationships with other people. The deep vein of God's divinepreswence within our lives is wrapped succinctly within Aaron's priestly blessing. It resounds again and again that God is a part of the life of a believer, relevantly, physically, emotionally, psychologically. "The LORD bless you and keep you; the LORD make His face to shine upon you, and be gracious unto. The LORD lift up His countenance to you and give you peace." Numbers 6:24-26

when it comes to you question about soul mates, all I can say is that when I met my now husband, it was as if the combination lock of my heart was moved to the right position to be opened. It was as if I heard a click of the last number being dialed in. No one else knew that lock combination, even me. A perfect soul mate, not in a Hollywood version of romance, but a real life romance. One which also had the strength and integrity to lock my heart again to not search for another.
You have good words today!