Friday, July 13, 2007

urbandictionary has no clue


My name was invented by Shakespeare, apparently. Shakespeare's Olivia, in The Twelfth Night, is a bit of a weirdo. However, I still consider it an honor to be named by one of the greats.

It comes from the word OLIVE.
I've previously taken this to mean "olive branch"-- a symbol of peace.

But here are some new thoughts about this name:

What happens to an olive when it is crushed? Oil.
Hallelujah, I'm telling you, God is crushing me.
Being crushed is a good thing.

As I was recently reminded in a prayer meeting:
"The LORD is near to the brokenhearted
And saves those who are crushed in spirit."

(Psalm 34:18)

So what if you're not crushed?
Align yourself with those who are.
Share in their brokenness,
become broken,
and the Lord will be near you.


"Come, let us return to the LORD.
For He has torn us,
but He will heal us;

He has wounded us,
but He will bandage us.


So let us know, let us press on to know the L
ORD.
His going forth is as certain as the dawn,

And He will come to us like the rain,
Like the spring rain watering the earth."

(Hosea 6)

No comments: