Thursday, February 18, 2010

let Him love you

I'm a bit of a "praise and worship"-nazi.
It comes from thinking too much, but it can easily go from there into just being grumpy!

So often our theology is formed out of what we sing, so I try to be careful what words I sing along with before I open my mouth.

One particular strain of worship which used to bug me was singing songs about ourselves and how great it is to be loved and saved and freed.

It seemed funny to sing:
"I am so loved by God!"
rather than:
"I love You so much!"

But here is what I think that I am learning:

God's love for us is absolutely glorious,
and singing about His love for us actually exalts Him!

If we were just singing about the fact that God is "nice" then it really would be selfish. Or if we were just singing about how awesome our lives are it might not be worship.
But that's not the point. The point is: God's love for us is extravagant and immense and divine and powerful. When we shout and sing "OH HOW HE LOVES US!" we're not glorifying our own "lovability" but we are glorifying His amazing sacrifice of love!

So stand up on your chair and praise God with me!

He loves us!!!

No comments: