Monday, October 09, 2006

shackled by a heavy burden

for the next few posts, i'm going to describe some of the eccentricities of my friends. there are quite a few characters here in my neighborhood, and it's a shame that you all can't meet them-- such interesting stories, such unusual quirks. here goes.

today i'll be featuring a man named "chain man," (no joke, he responds to that). it is quite an apt nickname...he walks around the streets carrying heavy chains draped over his shoulders and neck.
the other night ian and i asked him, "chain man, why do you carry those chains around anyway?" his rather peeved response was, "man, i'm carrying around 125 lbs, i'm doing my nightly security rounds, and you stop me to ask me a stupid question like that? man! i'll tell you when i'm less busy," as he stomped away. apparently he walks around this one block over and over again, because he's guarding it. who knows.
however, chain man only carries these shackles and speaks of his security duties when he is poisoned. when he's clean, he no longer goes by the alias "chain man," but instead reveals his true identity.
i feel the fetters are so symbolic-- he's in captivity. he needs to be emancipated. the first time i saw him without his manacles, i rejoiced, thinking he had been delivered...only to see him later that evening, shackled again.

quite a solitary life he leads. i'd enjoy chatting with him more, but he always brushes me off because he's too focused on doing his night rounds. hm.

people like chain man intrigue me, and fill my life with fascinating moments. i appreciate him. i continue to ask for his liberation. i bump into him as much as possible.

fight on.

p.s. i'm still interested in votes for our book title (see last blog)

4 comments:

Victory of the People said...

I didnt know we were still voting on the title...

My votes with Sounds of the Underground.

The book is targetted for youth right? If I was a youth, (which hey I guess I can still be one) I wouldnt look twice at the other titles...too boring.

But hey, Ill ask my teen cell this tuesday - giving them no history on what its about...just what title they like best and report back.

olivia, i think you are awesome!! really i love you.

YOU DONT KNOW MEEEeeee said...

i didnt know you were a writer. hmm...i wanna write a book. if i wrote a book...i dont know what it would be about. holiness is good. i want to be holy. pray that i be holy.
anyway...good times. ill be prayin' for ole chain man, too. (i remember that guy...never talked to him...saw him, though.)

Anonymous said...

Minion #1 Please tell Minion #2 that I said "Hi" again.

Book! How cool is that! Jesus is doing something interesting here. I was going to vote for the one about Weirdos and Freaks, but I think this "victory of the people" girl has a point. Plus, you know I'm kind of an old fart and wouldn't know much about youth culture anyway. I like Sounds of the Underground.

Joel said...

Hello Olivia, I'm a terrible friend, I have barely talked to you in the last year, I'm excited to see you have a blog, but maybe it's a bad thing, because then I can find out whats up with you without making an effort to contact you directly. this is what technology does to people.

Cheers and Blessings,
Joel