Wednesday, October 11, 2006

though your sins be as scarlet

Big Red is a big, red man. never have i heard such an apt nickname. he has a strong, imposing stature and fiery, orange hair with a gnarled beard. i doubt that his parents chose the name Big Red for him at birth, yet, no one calls him anything different. he can be most commonly seen: in theHarbourlight food line, walking down the street carrying giant pieces of driftwood on his shoulders, or at Crab tree park setting up an artistic, perhaps religious display.

my first run-in with Big Red was a bit unnerving. he asked my friend Phil how much i cost. sick. fortunately, Phil is integral, so he shot down any ideas Red had, and we moved on hastily.

i saw him many times on the street ensuingly, and our conversations, though less perverted, were still unfavorable. i'd ask him what he was doing with the prodigious wreath he was carrying, and he'd begin speaking, and though his words and cadence sounded sane, the way he chose to combine the words made no sense to my ears. often interspersed in his rantings were the words "i am," "Jesus," "death," "died," "resurrection," and "look!"

so i tend to avoid Mr. Red. is this wrong? i'm not sure, but he makes me uneasy.

i awoke one morning a few months ago, and looked out my window. across Hastings street i saw something so peculiar that it certainly stood out in the midst of the rain, dirt and graffiti: a cross made of driftwood, covered in strips of crimson cloth, dripping with red paint...or blood...we're still not sure. it looked like a mock crucifix, some kind of pagan art. this was Big Red's masterpiece.

i'm still not sure how to respond to Big Red-- he confuses me, and he makes me uncomfortable, but i'm so interested to try and figure out his mind. in any case, he's a well known character in the Downtown East side, and he is my neighbor. may i love him as i love myself.

go on.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Minion #1, that is great! It sounds like God is after Big Red! He's going to come to Christ! Believe it!

Love you bunches! God does too. I saw you dancing with Him a second ago.

Victory of the People said...

the results are in...

Sounds of the Underground got a vote

Holiness the hurts the eye got a vote

and "the solution" got a vote.

The other ones remain unvoted.
I will keep asking!

Alberta Rockstar said...

hey olivia!

i love you! you are great! is aaron white back in your parts yet???

i like that you keep writieng about your friends its way cool!

Unknown said...

Hi Olivia!
Sounds like you are meeting some very interesting people on the streets my friend.
And they are lucky to have you amongst them.
I'm going to add your blog to my favorites --- keep fighting the good fight!

I Believe We Shall Win said...

Have you taken to praying for Big Red?

sixonefour said...

I think that it is good to pray for him. Cheers to whoever suggested that. But here's the thing. We don't go unless He goes before us. That means we don't go down any alley, up any street, into any room that we don't see Jesus going into in advance of us. I don't mean "theoretically, would Jesus do this? Yes He would, so I must do it too" I mean, look around. Do you see Him? Does your radar pick up Holy Ghost in your midst? If so, then cool go talk to Red (I know exactly who you mean - and the cross is nothing new, if not shocking) chat him up, be free. If you don't sense the presence. Don't do it. The devil may want to lure you into a sliming or even an attack (cuz that guy's not okay and could possibly harm another person) in the name of boldness and extreme evangelism. Shrewd as snakes, innocent as doves sister...yeeHA!
~H