Wednesday, March 28, 2007

"what are those sores all over their faces?"

the last Wednesday of the month and the days following are always such a dark season.

welfare Wednesday.

i was amazed again, at how different the streets are during that time.
all the dealers come out (they're always out, but more so this week), and everybody is tweaking out. it's intense.

perfect timing to bring 45 teens from small town northern BC to come and visit.

i was giving a group of them a tour right down skid row-- showing them the sights, trying to answer a sweet, chatty 13 year old boy who kept asking questions like, "what are those clear pipes everyone is sucking on?" or "why is that lady dancing?" or "why doesn't anyone have teeth?"
i don't want to answer those things! i know it's meant to be educational, but man!-- he learned a lot yesterday.

when you see young, clean, healthy-looking people walking down the street in massive packs, you know they're Christians. no doubt. this is a fairly regular occurrence, and it gets a lot of reaction.
"what, are you going to try and save me?! your God isn't real so f--- off!"
"oh look at the cute Christians kids! welcome to the real world."
"do you like my neighborhood? this is where you end up if you're really screwed up."

something in me (my Camden, New Jersey inbred longing for street credibility) wanted to separate myself and say, "oh, i live down here, i'm just giving them a tour..." but i know that they couldn't tell me apart from the others.

one man in rock alley told us off. he saw a crowd approaching and figured it was a perfect opportunity to start giving a speech. despite his street appearance, he had very refined English. most of what he said made no sense to me, but some of it sunk in deeply:
"mothers and fathers, why are you bringing your children down here against their own will? to show them the freak show? it's patronizing and wrong."

my neighbors, many of whom are my friends, feel like they are in a zoo, and that all the "normal people" are coming down to gawk at how messed up they are.
that's their experience with Christianity. either they get stared at, or preached at. very enticing, i'm sure.

sigh.

conversational whiplash:

i have inherited, from my mother, a double portion of Thrift Store anointing. i claimed that generational blessing years ago, and i'm seeing the fruit of it. :o)

i was walking past Value Village yesterday morning, and the Lord told me that if i would go in there, He was going to provide me with a red jacket.
so i went in, and came out a few minutes later with a sweet, blood red jacket, for $7.99 CDN. nice.

figured i'd end on that happy note of retail therapy, rather than leave you to think about the damage that short term mission trips do to a neighborhood, and to the missionaries who are fighting for it. more comfortable.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Vivid description of the DTES dynamics Liv. hmmm. Truth mixed in with lies, eh?

Congrats on the red jacket. You've got the double portion blessing and anointing in lots of other ways too, and I rejoice!

Fullness,
mom

Phil said...

thanks for the post.

jsi said...

A dark season that comes with the frequency of money. What a dismal awareness to know that there is cycle to pay attention to, the depths of which you are familiar, and know that though there is hope in Jesus, some people have emphatically turned their back to His truth.
You are right, a tour through the lives of darkness, his words "to see a freak show" - it can reflect how they feel.
There is a depth to your post today, a compassionate understanding, a confronting hope, a stark reality and you in the middle of it.
Keep your heart open and protected, full of God's light and ready to shine and share it. Not to members of a freak show, but lost heart, created by God in His image, who are trapped in darkness.
Your posts always show a window of yourself, your love, your enthusiasm, your passion.
Give them Jesus!

Jacynta said...

Ohhh how I miss the DTES

Anonymous said...

I was one of the "freaks"a along time ago. Maybe not as far gone as the ones in Vanconver but people looked at me as I walked the streets day and night under the influence of booze mostly... but far gone.

As I read your blog I admire that there are some real warriors that are willing to go where the freaks are and to take them by the hand and lead them to the light.

I never want to forget the past, to stay in touch with how I felt as a freak. I want to have compassion on those still there.

I pray someone eyes were opened to faith that things can be better with faith in the Father.

I try to serve God in my way now. Bringing light to dark places!

As your leaders move to bigger and better things it always hurts too. But threw it all I believe GOD is leading us to greater things!

Being a freak and your spiritual mentor moving oh my how did I survive!

restored freak thanks you!
keep blogging!