Thursday, March 01, 2007

i'm convinced.

Top two motivations for holiness:

2.) effectiveness in ministry. when i see the need around me, when i see Christians who need to be discipled, when i see how much work needs to be done, i am motivated to obey the Lord. i can't preach a sermon while i am feeling shameful for how i've been living. i can't minister to a woman on the streets when i'm stuck in sin. that would be hypocrisy-- which is possibly the most hated quality ever.
but i want to be used by the Lord, and i want to see His kingdom come-- so i want to be blameless and pure.

1.) intimacy with the Lord. the conviction and unrest that comes from living in sin makes it unbearable to connect with the Lord. as Michael Collins says, "obedience equals intimacy." when i am obeying Him, it is showing that i love Him, and then i am close to Him in a way that i could never be if i was being disobedient.

my friend, Shaw Coleman, commented on my last post something profound that supports this #1 reason for being clean:

I was musing on this today, and it made me wonder if I'm going about things the wrong way. As in, am I using my relationship with Jesus to make myself 'clean,' just so I can be clean, or am I wanting to become clean so I can have a relationship with God?

One had righteousness as an end in itself, the other has relationship as an end in itself.

I'm guessing what we should strive for is relationship with God, and 'cleanliness' will come as an expression of that.


very interesting.

"What is more, I consider everything a loss compared to the surpassing greatness of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things. I consider them rubbish, that I may gain Christ and be found in him, not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but that which is through faith in Christ—the righteousness that comes from God and is by faith. I want to know Christ and the power of his resurrection and the fellowship of sharing in his sufferings, becoming like him in his death, and so, somehow, to attain to the resurrection from the dead."
Philippians 3:8-11

to know Christ is the number one reason to be holy.

ON THE FLIP SIDE
(there always seems to be a flip side...)
this doesn't contradict, it's merely a tension:

i have not made my way into the throne room by doing what is right.
i am only allowed to enter His presence with confidence because of the death of Christ. no other reason.

so i recognize that the real way to know Him and be intimate with Him is by way of the blood of Jesus. i can't make my own way.

but the tension still stands--
when i lived in sin, i couldn't bring myself to meet with Him. He is too perfect, and i felt ashamed, and uneasy because i knew what He wanted me to stop doing. i couldn't meet with Him confidently, because i was convicted.

interesting.

i'm motivated to be holy. those two reason are the reasons i exist-- they motivate me like nothing else.

5 comments:

jsi said...

Amazing motivations to holiness. God calls us to holiness. God provides it for us. And we are permitted to be close to Him and know Him because of it.
To know Christ, our deepest connection with God.
What open thoughts you present tonight.

jsi said...

Philippians 3 is the chapter of memorization for this month of Lent for me...striking, motivating. Finally - rejoice; watch out for evil; all profit considered loss; THE GREATNESS OF KNOWING JESUS.
It was the basis for my post on my site tonight, the stanzas literally been bumping around in my heart for three dys without my having taken the opportunity to place then on a screen or paper.

Anonymous said...

Olivia,

I have found an interesting parallell with our War Room.

People have confessed that when they are mired in sin, they have a hard time signing up for shifts in the War Room. "Seeking the face of God" is not a comfortable thing to do when you are in active disobedience.

And yet, the best place for a sinner to be is in the gracious presence of God. It is the only place (not TWR, the presence of God) to find forgiveness, and we have all come to the Lord unclean, looking for forgiveness and holiness.

I agree with the effectiveness in ministry aspect to holiness, though I have had times, even while preaching, when I have been convicted myself by the words God put in my mouth.

Grace,

Aaron

Anonymous said...

Just read your blog post today (Friday)and it is exactly what has been on my heart in approaching this day, World Day of Prayer. So a group of Christians/Salvos I was with today took the time to confess sin, get clean before the Lord, repent, renounce, etc., in anticipation of a half night of prayer on behalf of others . . .

Thanks for this Olivia.

I love you and I love your reasons for living!

Fullness
jm

james said...

your motivations sound alot like "love God and love others..."

love reading your blog! God bless ya