Sunday, January 21, 2007

she loved me as herself.

last night on my way back from work a met a girl.

she was walking down the sidewalk in front of our house, crying.

i asked her "what's wrong?"
she responded, "i lost a family."

i'm still not sure what she meant.
so, as we walked along, i just replied, "mm."

she looked at me and said, "do you do drugs?"
"no"
"what, did you just get out of jail or something?"
"no, i was just working at the shelter." (though some do get the Haven and jail confused)

this may seem silly, but i was a little thrilled that she thought i might be a drug user and a felon. sometimes i feel hurt when my neighbors tell me that i don't belong in their community, but i should move to the West End. the East side is my home, and i don't like it when people think that i don't fit in, and that i should leave.
but she saw me as one of her neighbors, and not a foreigner! yay!

she didn't ask me for money or anything, she just chatted with me, her neighbor. as she left, i handed her a sweatshirt, and she seemed so confused by the gift. i was unbelievably happy that she was interested in talking with me, not because she was expecting a gift, but because she just wanted to talk.

she walked away and continued crying.
she lost a family. i hope she gets grafted into mine.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

your selflessness is inspiring.

jp

Anonymous said...

all i can say is awesome and amen.

lisa lux

BrownEyedGirl said...

Praise Jesus...and he walked with his people.

Captain Andrew Clark said...

Olivia Munn for General! You are going to be an officer, aren't you?