Monday, November 20, 2006

follicular homicide

if you think of it,

please pray for me today, and particularly tomorrow morning.

i'm headed down to Seattle, to the Canadian Consulate, to ask (beg) them to give me an extension on my visa. if this doesn't come through, then i'll have to mail for one. that is supposed to take 2 months to come through, which is more time than i have.

anyway, i could use some FAVOR. i want to slip right through customs and immigration like i have butter on my shoes...aww yeea.

so i cut someones hair last night. if you know me well (mom), you will recall that my experiences of hair styling in the past have been rather...dramatic. and perhaps traumatic.
it wasn't so bad this time! okay, so there is one little spot in the back which is rather bald, but if you pull the rest of the hair over it, you barely even notice.
anyway, i was pretty impressed with my abilities. i think i'm going into the business soon.

of course, hair clearly is not as sacred to me as it is to my hair stylist back in Maine,
"olivia, friends don't let friends cut each others hair!"
(spin off of 'friends don't let friends drive drunk.')

to illustrate my lack of honour for my coif, hear this:

i work in a men's shelter. we had a certain client come in, who was quite hilarious, and rather flamboyant. we chatted for a bit, and he told me that he used to be a hair stylist, and that he would LOOOOVE to cut my hair, because it was SOOOO healthy. so i let him. took off my toque (translation: beanie) in the middle of this shelter, and let him clip away. perhaps i was the first female to ever get a haircut in that building-- i certainly felt out of place.
the whole process took about an hour and a half, and it ended up being...about 4 inches shorter than just a trim. a little piece of me died every time i espied a curl falling to the filthy floor. ;o)

some have commented that i was foolish to let a homeless man cut my hair...but i say i was wise-- it was free. and perhaps incarnational?
sure, the haircut sucks, but i'd rather have a story than perfectly stylized, flowing locks.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

A reverse Sampson hairstyle - you may start a new fad! When we choose to be weak the image of Jesus in us glows brighter. Thanks for blessing me today!

Anonymous said...

I made the mistake of letting my dad cut my hair once. He hadn't done it in a while and as he says, I'm his practice dummy. It was such a sad haircut. Needless to say, I don't let him come near me with clippers.

Unknown said...

Just do what I did. Shave it all off and be done with it.

You are a strong woman in the Lord ~~ Hair or no hair.

~~ Freak out!!

Anonymous said...

Hey Sis,

You are so clever, Follicular homicide!

I am sitting here laughing like crazy! Why? Because something VERY similar happened to me. However, I wound up with an AFRO! :)

I agree with you, having the story to tell is better than hair style!

I believe Jesus would take the story too! :)

Stay in the trenches and close to HIM!

~Cindy

Alberta Rockstar said...

i remmber hearing that sotry about u cutting hair a couple times from u before and i think from your mom too! remember at camp when you were thinkin on shaving your head and meghan totally did! it would have made me go gasp if you did! but your soo beautiful it wouldn't matter what kind of hair you have! i love you soo much and think of you soo much!

Anonymous said...

Technically wouldn't it only be follicular homicide if the hair follicles died, leaving you bald?

Sorry to split hairs.

Unknown said...

Shaw. That pun was inexusable!