Thursday, March 20, 2014

curly girl

Gabriella has the world's brightest smile, and the world's curliest hair.

I met her in the lobby of the corps, and she was a twelve-year-old spitfire.
She was full of energy. "HI!" as she thrust her hand towards me.
Even though I was twice her age, I really appreciated the warm welcome, as I was still feeling new and shy. I admired her exuberance.

I went to see her perform at Music Camp.
Her role in the skit was to hold up a sign.
I knew that she had a lot more in her. We had just met, but I felt irritated that she was given such a small part. Isn't it obvious to everyone that this girl is special?

I'm always biased towards people that I know, even if I don't really know them.

She sat in my windowless office and told me, "yeah, I believe in God, but I'm just not really into Him, you know?  Like I am a Christian but I'm not really passionate about it." Listened.

Gabriella went to TAM Conservatory a year later.
I dropped her off in her Rader Court bedroom, and she commented on the freedom and nerves she was experiencing from the thrill of holding a house key.
We realized that she forgot to bring a pillow.  I went to the awful Suffern Wal-Mart and got her a new one.
When I hugged her goodbye, she didn't want to let go.
I assured her as strongly as I could that she would have a fantastic week.
I knew she would.
I have faith for TAM, and for exuberant 13 year old curly-girls.

When I picked her up, she was all bubbles and stories and songs. As I expected.
I asked her if she grew closer to God that week.
The bubbles stopped and she told me that she wanted to give her testimony the following day in Sunday School. Not in Holiness Meeting, but in Sunday School. I said "of course".

That week she experienced the breaking down of walls that I never knew she had.
She heard the voice of God, and He spoke to her about the things that troubled her more deeply than any of us would have guessed.
"God went from an idea in my head to a real relationship, you know? I hope I don't sound dumb right now, I probably don't make any sense."
NO, Gabby, you make perfect sense. We love it. Keep talking this is beautiful.

She's been smiling less often, but when she does it is still the brightest.

Still believing for Gabriella.
I have faith for the church, and for complicated 14 year old curly-girls.

No comments: