Thursday, March 13, 2014

You pick

"What do you want to eat?"

     "Oh, I don't know. You pick the restaurant."

"Well is there anything you don't like to eat?"

     "Meat. I decided today that I am vegetarian."

So we went to an organic, vegan, paleo, macrobiotic, gluten-free restaurant on the block that I have always wanted to go to, but never dared. Cucumber lemon juice and avocado quinoa.

She's 18, sarcastic, and yet still somehow bubbly.
She's a pre-med student who "knows" that she "thinks" that she wants to be a doctor.
An ESFP with the spiritual gifts of discernment and leadership.
The future is a complete mystery to her.
She takes each day by the horns and runs with it.

I started asking her basic questions about college, work, friends.
Then I started asking her tough ones:

"What do you feel God has called you to do? Do you feel a sense of fulfillment? Do you feel that you are using your gifts to the fullest potential? Where do you hope to be in 5 years?"

Many I-don't-knows.

She started asking me about the path that led me where I am today.
When I was 18, I had some I-don't-knows, but a pretty long list of certainties.
And most of the things that I was certain would happen in my life did not happen.
Many things that I never would have dreamed of happening actually did instead.

So, I chewed my quinoa and remembered, and recognized this woman's wisdom.

"Many are the plans in a person’s heart, but it is the Lord’s purpose that prevails." Proverbs 19:21

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Write on - your best self.