Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Off to work

Glen was carrying a briefcase. He walked past me quickly from the chapel into the hallway. The briefcase somehow blinded me, and I assumed he was there on business.
He looked like he was off to work.

Then I remembered that our chapel was locked, and the day was done.

Then I noticed the smell.  I started to wonder what was in the briefcase.

Glen joined us for prayer meeting tonight.
He sat there very politely.
I was just about to say the benediction, when Glen said, "when you are done, can I tell you what God has done for me?"

You can't say no to that!

He proceeded to tell us a lengthy story about his landlord and welfare.
Every single piece of paper that he pulled out of his briefcase was evidence of the tale he told.
He would pull out a rent receipt, hold it up, and slowly rotate so that each person in the circle could clearly see. SLOWLY.

At some point I interrupted. "Okay, thank you for sharing, but we have to go. It's time for Bible study." Off to work!

____________________________________________________________

Rodger is fairly new to the church. He thinks deeply about the Word, but isn't completely convinced that he believes it. He has a lot of questions.
We allow space for questions.

Rodger is only 25, trendy, and urban-slick.

Today was his birthday, and he came to prayer meeting with us, and Glen.

_____________________________________________________________

Rodger showed me up tonight.

After I cut Glen off, I quickly switched gears.

Rodger went up to Glen, extended his hand, and pulled him in for a hug.
"You got keys now, man! God's got your back!"

Meanwhile, I'm already halfway out of the room.

______________________________________________________________

Teach me, Lord, to be patient, kind, and gentle.

No comments: